Traceability & Quality Control
Certified Sustainable, Proof of Authenticity
Caviar is a delicacy consisting of salt cured eggs from the Acipenseridae family. Genuine caviar refers only to roe from STURGEON fish. Caviar Artisan is dedicated to importing caviar exclusively produced under all international CITES (Convention Of International Trade In Endangered Species) regulations, and in accordance with European Union law. Certified caviar is produced in sustainable ethical ways that has been approved and regulated under strict adherence to the highest quality standards. Each tin is vacuum sealed at the source with a control seal and a CITES label at the back of each tin before being released for dispatch. When it comes to our caviar, its origin is certain and safe.
The label for caviar containers packed in the country of origin must include the following information, in the order described:
1. Standard caviar species code: CITES has determined three-letter codes for the identification of sturgeon caviar.
'BAE' is the standard species code for Acipenser Baerii (Baerii Caviar)
'GUE' is the standard species code for Acipenser Gueldenstaedtii (Oscietra Caviar)
'DAUxSCH' is the standard Species code for Acipenser Huso Dauricus (Hybrid Sturgeon Caviar)
'DAU' is the standard species code for Huso Dauricus (Giant Sturgeon Caviar)
'HUS' is the standard species code for Huso Huso (Beluga Caviar).
2. Caviar Source code: A letter used on CITES documents to indicate the source of the caviar, either 'W' for sturgeon harvested from the wild or 'C' for captive-bred (farmed) sturgeon .
3. Caviar origin code:This is the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) two-letter code for the country of origin, e.g. IT for Italy. A list of ISO country codes can be found at http://www.cites.org/ eng/disc/parties/alphabet.shtml
4.Year of caviar harvest
5. Official registration code of the caviar processing plant: Each exporting country should establish a national registration system for processing plants, with official registration codes assigned to each. This number corresponds to that code.
6. Lot identification number: This is a number that corresponds to information related to the caviar tracking system used by the processing or re-packaging plant.
Sample CITES Label Examples
(Oscietra Caviar/Captive/Italy/Year of Harvest/Processing Plant/Lot Number)
(Baerii Caviar/Captive/Finland/Year Of Harvest/Processing Plant/Lot Number)
(Hybrid Caviar/Captive/China/Year Of Harvest/Processing Plant/Lot Number)
(Beluga Caviar/Captive/Iran/Year Of Harvest/Processing Plant/ Lot Number)